Monday, October 09, 2006

Summer's over - and it's sad

Well hello to everyone in the rest of the world - it's a sad day for me as I watch the skies cloud up and the rain begin to fall - a cold rain - not the summertime rain. The weather is shifting here, and it causes a change in gear. Clothing, hats, gloves, rain gear, boots, everything changes that goes on our bodies. I never realized how much clothing plays a major role in living somewhere like this. Every day when we get ready to leave the house, we make sure that staying dry is part of the program. I don't know an Alaskan who has lived here all their life who doesn't stress the importance of staying dry. We wear rubber boots made out of neoprene that are great actually - feet never get wet - and stay warm too - the bottom of the boots sucks to any docks or rocks that are slippery. I only fall down when I don't wear my X-Tra Tuffs. That's what they're called. Also, we all wear Rain Gear - bib overalls and hooded jackets over whatever clothes you're wearing. That way, you stay dry while in transit. The same goes for transporting anything, groceries, supplies, etc. Wrap them in plastic, or extra rain gear!!! Well, this was just my thought for the day - looks like I have something to do now - go upstairs and unpack all the winter gear.........winter is here....Jamie

1 comment:

breck said...

why did you move from adeleigh island to near anchorage,got tired of serene island life?