Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another old post.....about a deer

Okay guys so I'm home alone (like I always am) and I have no one totell this to, but the funniest thing just happened. I meanderedoutside for the first time in 10 days without my arctic gear on - justmy thermal nightshirt and my rubber boots....the weather is 39 degreestoday - a bit cloudy, beautiful really, and I wanted a snow cone.So I got my bowl and wandered out on the beach to this huge logcovered in snow. It's about 60 feet long, and has a good coating.You just pick up the pieces that sort of melted together with thewarmth, and carve off the soft powder from underneath them with yourbowl. So, I'm going along, making a nice little mound and I hear thisBOINB BOINB like in Looney Tunes when that kangaroo is jumping around?Or when there is something otherwise hopping.....regardless, I heardthis just as I was thinking to myself, "Where are the Dum Dums?"To explain: my 7 female dogs are collectively known as the Dum Dumsfor a variety of good reasons, none of which matter here. People arealways asking me if my dogs chase deer, to which I always respond,"No, they couldn't catch one if they tried!!" and I snort a laugh likethey must be crazy to think so.So, back to my story - I hear this boing boing boing and I look up andboinging towards me, right towards me, is a huge doe. She's a big one- and she's boinging right towards me. If you've never seen or heardthis, it's really cool - she was literally thundering. Then shestopped, mingled at the end of the log, ate a bit of snow off of it,walked around , looked at me, had time to listen to me ask her a fewstupid questions, (who are you? what's your name? and other stuff thatshe didn't know) , surveyed my float, looked toward the house, towardthe boat, and then in one huge leap, she was over the float andboinged off down the beach, into the woods.Now, during this awesome encounter, I actually had enough time tothink about doing many things, getting a camera, getting a gun,getting my bow and arrow, none of which I did, of course - I wasdumbstruck. The point is, it was an encounter of decent length. ThenI sat there thinking, oh how cool, etc etc. etc. and off in thedistance, I hear another thundering......It was the thundering of dumb - 7 sets of dum dum to be specific,tongues hanging around their ears, wild eyed, limbs flying every whichway, yes, they were on the chase. Now I know they've gotten a deerbefore - there have been specific tale tell signs, but I feel sure itwas an ill deer, a lame deer, or an otherwise engaged and not payingattention deer. But it was not this deer. That was cool. Thanks forlistening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl
Kangaroos go thump, thump, and grow to 2 metres, so if you hear a thump, thump, please take cover; unlike Skippy, they can be mean.
Otherwise thanks for sharing and I wish I was there 🎉