Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An older post from the island....

This is an older post from when I was still living out in the bush on the island in Southeast Alaska - I posted it on a different forum but I thought it would be interesting here:

Well hello everybody - I feel like I've been gone forever - during awind storm in mid-December, my satellite dish blew out of alignment(it was only about a 100 mph wind..) and then the coaxial cableconnectors got loosened up a bit, only to reveal the tremendous amountof saltwatery rust that had accumulated inside.....it's only a fewfeet from the ocean - and the installer guy didn't seal up anything ofcourse...So, after some parts replacement, sealing, and much satelliteadjusting involving the scientific "yell out the window method" , I amback online permanently again with a good strong signal. Starband'slevel of customer service does not extend to uninhabited islands - Ihad to take a 3 hour ferry boat ride to Ketchikan to get the parts Ineeded, which was cool because of course, the scenery - the MistyFjords are incredible this time of year.For the last week and a half, I have been stuck at home - today wasthe first time I got to go to town and get supplies. Here in front ofmy house in the bay, I had a thick layer of ice that my 14 foot Lundjust could not break through. Fortunately, towards the end of thecold snap, this older couple that lives almost 12 miles away from meby boat, came over in their metal work skiff and broke through theremaining hunks of ice so I could finally get out of here and retrievesome much needed fossil fuels!!! I was out of diesel for my smallheater (it supplements my wood stove when I run the generator) and Iwas out of propane, which runs my kitchen and my hot water heater.Basically, I was kinda screwed for hot food or hot water.So, the moral of the story is, you kids appreciate and treasure thatstrong stream of natural gas that flows into your house from someunknown magical source in the alley......and once, just once, considerhow much different it would be if you had to haul 6 or 7 jerry jugswith 5 gallons of fuel in each of them up a 180 foot ramp out of yourboat and into your house for the same effect .....not that I'mcomplaining, I love it - I don't get any bills, from anyone, ever, notone. So that's cool - just wanted to remind you guys to love yourresources and your planet.Oh yeah, my rainwater supply froze about as hard as a rock so not onlywas I a little chilly, I was a little dirty, and tired ofcereal.....but it's all good now!!! Life is back to being alrightagain - it got up in the high 40's today and yesterday - I was runningaround in a t-shirt and long denim skirt - and even broke a sweat whenthe wood stove got going a little too good!! It's funny to me tothink that when the temperature gets up to 45 or 50, I'm openingwindows to get some fresh air....I'm pretty sure if I came back toLubbock, I would surely perish from the heat almost immediately. Idon't miss that at all.So, King Crab season starts in about a week, which leads to - SPRINGand then SUMMER - which is so awesome - and you'll find me GONEFISHING - permanently - I can't wait. Missed you guys - just wantedto let you know I'm OK and life is grand in beautiful Alaska!!!

No comments: