Wednesday, March 26, 2008

SnowCones and Slingshots

Well folks, it was another interesting day here in the beautiful landof snow and ice. It has been below zero for the last week untiltoday, when the temperature broke through and it got up to 24 degreesearly this morning, dumping several inches of dry, fresh powdery snowall over the city. So naturally I headed out into it - when it's 24degrees here, it's time to shuck some of the inner and outer layersso I was able to pack some more things in my pockets, if that makessense. I had the best day planned - I had 3 little mandarin orangesin one pocket, some fresh heavy cream in a ziploc bag in my otherpocket, a paper cup, a sling shot I had made yesterday, a couple oftennis balls, and several small rocks.Now I know you're wondering how much fun you can have with thoseitems but let me explain - I went out into the middle of the lakeagain (which is now frozen hard hard hard by the way_) where thislittle rock island sits covered in trees. There is a mound of groundin the middle of this where I chose to set up camp. I proceeded tomake snowcones with fresh OJ and cream until I got a stomach ache.During this I was repeatedly throwing the tennis ball as far as Icould so Bailey would get some exercise. Now the entertaining partwas - my other dog Scooby Doo is sort of like Sideshow Bob on theSimpsons - foul face, hilarious to make fun of, play tricks on, etc.She always has the same deadpan face - it's very funny, trust me.Anyhoo, she never chases the ball, she just sort of runs a few stepsand quits and watches bailey run - out of laziness mostly. So, Iwould wait for her to run these few steps , and then shoot a tinyrock up into the tree above her head, where the branches had like 6inches of snow each. See where I"m going with this? Yes it'shilarious when a foot of snow dumps on your unsuspecting canine. Iknow I'm immature, but I had a really good time today. I justthought I would give someone an idea of what they could do if theyhad some time to kill and it had just snowed.....love you guys - jamieOH! and we saw 2 moose on our way home - one was a little baby moosewith no horns at all, which was really cute for about 3 seconds tilli realized his mom would be close - when i heard her clopping ourway, i quickly chose another route and ran like casey and dan at themarathon - i did learn that when you run like the wind in fear, yourdogs will follow you and eventually pass you.....

No comments: